Food and Drink
Posted by Ross Battaglia
30. Jan, 2017
Summer is in full swing meaning it’s the perfect time to head to the South Melbourne Night Market and treat yourself to some of the tastiest street food while perusing through an eclectic range of market stalls. Milk Bar Mag has selflessly done all the hard work for you – here are the top five experiences you must cross off your list.
1. Paella at Simply Spanish: Simply put, the paella is something of a legend in South Melbourne. The rice is fluffy, the chicken is tender and the assorted seafood is fresh and full of flavour. However, you won’t be satisfied after one serving, which poses a very delicious problem…
2. Fresh coconut at COCOFIX: If you are parched, quench your thirst and cool your sweat-laden body with some fresh coconut water and continue to enjoy the balmy twilight marketplace.
3. Raclette fondue cheese at Frencheese: Oh so cheesy, but oh so good. Picture layer upon layer of melted raclette cheese poured exquisitely over a bed of sautéed potatoes and fresh charcuterie. Accompanying the portions are pickles and a garden salad. Make your way down to Frencheese and see how one of the most popular dishes in France, Switzerland and Germany is put together; it’s almost an art form.
4. Beer at Colonial Brewing Co.: The guys at Colonial Brewing Co. tapped their first keg in 2004 at Margaret River, Western Australia and there’s been no turning back ever since. Built on their philosophy of keeping things uncomplicated, their craft beer is a winner, delivering that bitter taste with undertones of citrus and pine.
5. Nutella crepes at Crepes for Change: Nutella crepes are already a crowd favourite but when they are the champion for social good, every sweet and chocolatey mouthful is worth it. The not-for-profit food van – the first in Australia – was established to eliminate youth homelessness and empowers those who at risk or are currently homeless.
Now in its ninth innings, the South Melbourne Night Market is bigger than ever and is the place to find exotic street food, great free entertainment and a stellar range of drinks perfect for those balmy, tropical nights.
We hope to see you there!
South Melbourne Night Market
Corner of Cecil and Coventry Streets, South Melbourne
Every Thursday, to 23 February 2017, from 5:30pm
Understand the mysterious and quirky mind of Banksy and the method behind his controversial art.
Garden Design Fest showcases 46 of Victoria’s most spectacular gardens, highlighting the work of some of the most acclaimed garden designers in the country.
Milk Bar Magazine speaks with Amelia Trompf, the author of the new children's book Who is Fitzy Fox?, set right here in Melbourne.
With 716 screenings across Melbourne, the French Film Festival is a celebration of contemporary French cinema.
Milk Bar Mag would like to reward our faithful followers by giving away two FREE double passes for the screening of The Magnificent Seven.
Rosie Jones’ new documentary, The Family, is an unsettling and unflinchingly in-depth look at the doomsday cult that lurked on the fringes of Melbourne society for the better part of thirty years.